Longspan shelving is a unique system for storing small and medium sized items and is, as its name suggests, long in length. These types of shelving are fantastic for warehouse or industrial storage, or for use in the retail industry. Longspan heavy duty shelving systems is ideal for this due to it’s various sizes and the available add on systems allow it to solve many requirements. – This heavy duty system is also a very cost-effective system.
Benefits of Longspan Shelving
You need a new storage solution, to help your business become more efficient and maximise the use of space. Why is warehouse shelving an ideal solution for you:
- This type of shelving is heavy duty but also light enough to allow easy installation. The 1800mm long bays are rated to 500kg evenly distributed per shelf!
- As long as the depth of the system you’re wanting to join onto e.g. 600mm to 600mm then you can have many types of storage solution joined together in 1 area. For example you could have a large buckets rack joined onto a bunded shelving system!
- Maximised storage area. As the name suggests the beams in this system have a large span meaning you can fit more items into your area without being impeded by the next shelving upright/post.
- Due to the high quality materials and workmanship used during manufacture you can be assured that your system will be in place for many years to come provided you keep within the required load ratings and don’t put them in a corrosive area. It’s also important to bolt the shelving down to level concrete surface.
How to Maximise the space in your Warehouse?
So, you’ve decided on your shelving system, but how do you maximise the space you’ve got in your warehouse. You want to maximise your efficiency in finding products all while keeping your storage space as clean and organised as possible. This will help reduce the time taken to find products and increase the accuracy of finding them. Here are some tips on how to achieve this:
- Make sure you’re on top of upkeep. It may sound simple, but it will be crucial in maintaining an effective storage system. You want your warehouse to meet industry standards and to be inspected regularly. Once your system is set up and running, regularly maintaining it will ensure that it stays at the peak of efficiency and nothing gets overlooked or falls into disrepute.
- Utilise cycle counts. A common mistake is that you leave your inventory control audits until the end of the year, which often means there are lots of errors and things to fix all at once. By using cycle counts throughout the year, you minimise the number of issues that need rectifying and keep your warehouse operating as efficiently as possible.
- Minimise unnecessary or unauthorised movement in your warehouse. Having signage that keeps unauthorised persons out of your warehouse. It may help to have specific warehouse roles so that things do not get misplaced or lost.
- An efficient way to organise your warehouse is to label things, this ensures people don’t place things in shelves they shouldn’t be and helps to direct people to the location of a product quicker. One of the more efficient ways to organise your warehouse is to use a SKU system, like many retailers do, helps to minimise the chance of costly errors.
- Implement quality control measures. An easy way to avoid and reduce costly mistakes is to implement quality control measures. This will help to keep your staff accountable as well as reducing mistakes.
Here we have highlighted some ways to improve your storage as well as ways to manage your storage efficiently to keep your storage space running smoothly. Our team at Containit Solutions are more than happy to assist you with any questions you may have. Call us today!